Saturday, January 12, 2008

Crossing over to the dark side of glass


I started this artform over 2 years ago. It started with me being curious about the kiln I had purchased from the UK and it arrived with a bead door. Up until then beads were something that I had not even thought about really, they came in a packet. Nevermind, how they were made.
It took some months and googling and voila....
I started with soft glass, otherwise known as Effetre/Moretti. I had 2 days training with an artist here in SA.
This year I travelled to the USA and WOW!!! What they do with glass is amazing. I came home with a bunch of borosilicate glass. Fear had taken hold and I could not get myself to play with it. I didn't have Deb, Pam or Katie standing nearby to rescue me if something went wrong.
A couple of months ago I thought what the hell and just did it and boy am I glad I did. I got myself some of the Doug Remschneider DVD's and the rest is history. I've fallen utterly and totally in love with Borosilicate glass.
Some of my friends who work mainly in soft have said I have crossed over to the dark side. I guess I have. LOL


No comments: